Listen to this Article Now
Ghana has been chosen for serve a two-year term on the United Nations Security Council, state authorities reported after a political decision on Friday.
The West African nation got 185 votes out of 190 votes cast, the most noteworthy number of votes contrasted with the four other part expresses that were chosen.
This further concretes Ghana’s elevated status in the comity of countries. The Minister of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey cast Ghana’s vote.
“Ghana praises Brazil, the United Arab Emirates, Albania and Gabon for their separate fruitful decisions and anticipate working intimately with every one of the new individuals from the Council when our residency begins in January 2022,” an assertion from the Foreign Ministry said.
The underwriting of the African Union and the ECOWAS is profoundly valued. With circumstances in Africa ruling the plan of the Security Council, “we pledge to work steadily to help with tending to the contentions on the landmass and support the harmony individuals of Africa need. As is notable, issues on Africa establish 70% of the Security Council’s plan.”
“Ghana additionally thanks any remaining part states for their trust in Ghana’s office. The wide help for Ghana affirms the trust Member States have in our enrollment of the Council and Ghana’s ability to help address the difficulties going up against our present reality, including rough radicalism, illegal intimidation, malevolent digital dangers, unlawful dealing of arms, environmental change, and so on
“The compelling authority being exhibited by Ghana’s President, H.E. Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, as Chair of ECOWAS gives collaboration to our participation of the Security Council, especially intending to the contention circumstances in certain pieces of the West Africa district and the Sahel. Ghana will offer as a powerful influence for crafted by the Council her involvement with struggle intervention, counteraction, and remaking.
“Ghana will likewise utilize her residency on the Security Council to look for a more grounded and more profound joint effort and collaboration between the United Nations and territorial bodies in a way that upgrades complementarity and guarantees the viability of composing activity,” the assertion added.
As shown during our mission, Ghana’s residency on the Council will zero in on Enhancing Global Peace and Security for Sustainable and Inclusive Development. A portion of our needs will include:
- Commitment to placing the critical agenda of conflict prevention, post-conflict reconstruction, and multilateralism at the heart of UN peace and security agenda;
- Promotion of Human Rights, sustainable development, peace and security in advancing the work of the Security Council, especially at a time when the United Nations is mobilising all Member States towards combating the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Advocacy for the implementation of the actions recommended by the High-Level Independent Panel on Peace Operations, such as improved strategic planning, better force generation, enhanced safety and security and strengthened efforts to combat sexual exploitation and abuse;
- Strengthening partnerships between the United Nations and continental and regional organizations such as the African Union and ECOWAS in conflict prevention, peacekeeping operations and special political missions; and
- Addressing conflicts caused by environmental factors such as land degradation, desertification, drought and climate change.
“Ghana stands ready to be an active and instrumental member of the Council for the maintenance of international peace and security. Once again, Ghana is grateful to the African Union and ECOWAS for endorsing our candidacy and to all Member States of the United Nations for giving us the opportunity to collaborate with them and be a voice for Africa on the Council.”