Southern African president hails Mozambique’s security mission
Listen to this Article Now
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on Tuesday said there had been a
huge advancement in handling a militant insurgency in northern
Mozambique after a multinational force deployed there a year ago.
Ramaphosa, who chairs the Defense and Security section of the Southern
African Development (SADC) bloc, gave the update at a summit called to
assess developments in the region.
SADC members and Rwanda stepped in half a year ago to help the
beleaguered Mozambican armed force, bringing in over 3,000 soldiers.
“Since the deployment… significant progress has been made,” said
Ramaphosa in introductory statements at the two-day talks in the
“The security situation in Cabo Delgado is improving, which has allowed
for some internally-displaced persons to return to their homes and
resume their normal lives,” he said.
Operating alongside Mozambican troops, regional forces have helped to
create “safe passage” for bringing humanitarian aid into jihadist-hit
areas, he said.
The SADC Mission in Mozambique (SAMIM) was first deployed in July,
however, its mandate was extended indefinitely in October.
Cabo Delgado, a gas-rich area lining Tanzania, has been gripped by
attacks from Islamic State-linked militants since 2017.
About 3,500 individuals have passed on and around 820,000 have escaped
from their homes.
Atrocities include massacres, beheadings, the torching of homes, and
mass abductions, especially of girls.