The maker of the AR-15 gun has offered the Sandy Hook families a $33 million settlement.

Listen to this Article Now

The producer of the rifle used in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting has agreed to pay nearly $33 million to resolve a lawsuit filed by some of the victims’ relatives over how the gun manufacturer marketed the weapon to the general public

The maker of the rifle used within the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy has offered roughly $33 million to settle a lawsuit filed by some of the victims’ relatives over how the firm marketed the firearm to the general public. Lawyers for the now-bankrupt Remington filed the bids late Tuesday in Connecticut’s Waterbury Superior Court. The nine families suing the corporation, each of whom has been offered almost $3.7 million, are weighing the offers, according to their lawyers.

On Wednesday, James Rotondo, a Hartford lawyer who represents Remington, declined to comment. A court dismissed Remington’s attempt to dismiss the lawsuit the day before the settlement offers were presented. On December 14, 2012, a Remington Bushmaster AR-15-style weapon was used to murder 20 first-graders and six educators at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. Before the tragedy, Adam Lanza, a 20-year-old gunman, murdered his mother at their Newtown home, then shot himself in the head with a revolver as police arrived at the school.

In their case, the relatives of nine victims slain in the massacre claim that Remington should never have sold such a lethal weapon to the public and that it targeted younger, at-risk boys in marketing and product placement in violent video games. They claim that their main goal is to avoid future mass shootings. Nicole Hockley, whose six-year-old son Dylan was killed in the shooting, said Wednesday that the families should discuss the settlement offers with their lawyers and declined additional comment. Joshua Koskoff, an attorney for the families, said the settlements were offered by two of Remington’s insurers.

“Ironshore and James River … deserve credit for now realizing that promoting the use of AR-15s as weapons of war to civilians is indefensible. Ensuring this kind of conduct is an unprofitable and untenable business model,” Koskoff said in a statement.

Remington’s attorneys have refuted the accusations in the lawsuit. They contended in their motion to dismiss that there were no facts submitted to prove that Remington’s marketing had anything to do with the shooting. Remington, situated in Madison, North Carolina, declared bankruptcy for the second time in two years last year. Its assets were later sold to a number of companies.