Uganda tightens border measures over Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

Uganda has introduced border screening measures following the Ebola outbreak in the region. Health officials near Bundibugyo in western Uganda have started monitoring travellers’ temperatures and encouraging regular handwashing as part of prevention efforts.

The outbreak, which is believed to have claimed more than 90 lives, has been classified by the World Health Organization as an international public health emergency.

“When we heard the news about Ebola, we first informed health workers in medical facilities about how they could protect themselves from coming into contact with people who might have or were suspected to have Ebola,” said Clovis Bwambale.

The current outbreak is linked to the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which has no approved vaccine or targeted treatment. The strain is also associated with a high death rate.

“It is not the first time we as Bundibugyo residents have faced this disease. It has happened before. Even though it is something serious, I believe the government is capable of managing the situation if it spreads further,” said Mbabazi Alice.

In a statement issued late Monday, the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a Continental Public Health Emergency.

The Democratic Republic of Congo has so far reported 131 deaths from 513 suspected Ebola infections, while neighbouring Uganda has confirmed one fatality linked to the outbreak.

Scroll to Top